Give your Raspberry Pi a new outreach with Serial Expansion HAT
Serial Expansion HAT provides a way for Raspberry Pi to interface with multiple devices
Raspberry Pi Foundation has established its name in the world amongst tech enthusiasts, kids, students, and hobbyists. Most of the users of Raspberry Pi has the demand to connect it with more devices so that they can enhance the potential of their device or project. Serial Expansion HAT for Raspberry Pi is the solution for the problems of users. It allows the user to connect multiple devices to Raspberry Pi via the UART interface.
Technology of Serial Expansion HAT
Raspberry Pi does not only educate people but also make them interested in programming and hardware assembly. Raspberry Pi Foundation developed Raspberry Pi that has only two UART ports to transmit and receive data that binds the potential of device or project after a point. SB Components saw the obstacles in front of the users that made them develop Serial Expansion HAT to make the users efficient. Serial Expansion HAT has an operating voltage of 3.3V that is powered by an onboard SC16IS752 that can expands 2-channel UART with 8 programmable GPIO through I2C.
Applications of Serial Expansion HAT
Serial Expansion HAT enhances the creativity of the users as they can connect more devices with Raspberry Pi. It would allow the people to connect the Raspberry Pi with multiple serial devices that will generate more powerful ideas and execution ideas amongst the people. There are few examples mentioned following that one can look for to take an idea for the usage of Serial Expansion HAT
- Pi-Talk – SB Components took forward their steps into the world of the technology sector that inspired them to design Pi-Talk. Pi-Talk is a first-ever modular smartphone based on Raspberry Pi that comes with 3G communication for impeccable data communication. A user can utilize the potential of Serial Expansion HAT to connect a variety of components like NFC, Bluetooth, GPS system, etc with the Pi-Talk to make it more powerful and user friendly.
- Global Positioning system – GPS or Global Positioning System has become one of the powerful devices that have become an important part of modern-day technology. GPS system has the requirement of components like GPS module or GSM module to work together which can be achieved by Serial Expansion HAT for better accuracy.
- Point On Sale Machine – There are machines that need a combination of the components in a serial communication to make a system like Card Reader Machines, barcode scanner, feedback system etc. It helps the companies to interact with customers with better methods that would increase the comfort for both the companies and customers.
- Operating Voltage – 3.3V
- Expansion Chip – SC16IS752
- Control Interface – I2C
- Mounting Hole Size – 2.8mm
- Dimensions – 65 x 30 mm
- Connectivity with all the variants of Raspberry Pi
- Expands 2-Channel UART and 8 Programmable GPIO
- Onboard SC16IS752
- It has the ability to make 32-Channel UART
- Multi LED(Onboard) as a status indicator
Configuration process of Serial Expansion HAT
A huge demand of Serial Expansion HAT is coming from the users so that they can raise the level of efficiency of the their gadgets. Numerous individuals gets the problems while configuring Serial Expansion HAT that might divert from the development of an advanced technology. You do not need to worry as one can perform the configuration process as per the following ways
- First install the libraries like Python libraries to start the process and then
- sudo apt-get install python-dev
- sudo apt-get install python-smbus
- sudo apt-get install python-spidev
- Enable I2C interface
- Execute command: sudo raspi-config
- Choose: Interfacing options->I2C->Yes
1. Clone the following git repository by executing command
git clone https://github.com/sbcshop/SB-Serial-Expansion-Hat.git
2. open examples folder and edit UART interface on code as per your need (ttySC0 or ttySC1).
3. Now type below command to run it.
sudo python3 send.py or sudo python3 receive.py