Table of Contents
About USB RTC for Raspberry Pi
Raspberry Pi has become one of the most prestigious and well-known company in the DIY segment. Millions of users are building modernistic projects or products that will enhance the level of the technology. One of the things that came as an obstacle for the user is the lack of a system to update the “Real-Time” or current time in the system without using the internet. SB Components came up with a device “USB RTC For Raspberry Pi” that would not only solve the problem but also make the product more efficient. USB RTC or Real Time Clock is an open-source electronic device that measures the time of the device which aligns the time of the device with the “Real-Time”.
The Necessity Of USB RTC (Real Time Clock For Raspberry Pi)
Data loggers, digital clocks, attendance systems, digital cameras, and other related items have become popular in today’s world. These advanced technologies need a timestamp, for which RTC is a suitable alternative. RTC stands for “Real-Time Clock,” an electronic device that enables the user to monitor the passing of time. It is an essential process to measure the time in the device to maintain the accuracy of the data like in a temperature sensor, a user can check the temperature at a particular time with the help of a USB RTC. One of the basic examples is our computer system in which one does not have to update the time after they start the system. It will make the device updated which will provide the data in a better way.
Overview Of USB RTC (Real Time Clock)
USB RTC is a sleek, modern, and Hi-tech device that raises the bar of the product in the terms of technology. Some of the readers might not be aware of the purposes that USB RTC serves for the users. There are the following reasons to use USB RTC in your projects
- Save Energy – Even though microcontrollers with built-in RTCs go into sleep or on low-power modes, the clock must continue to run to provide accurate timekeeping for things like alarm functions. If one Leaves the RTC on then the energy would be wasted by causing leakage current from the microcontroller. USB RTC works as an external RTC that allows the user to run the clock without wasting any power.
- Smart Component – One does not need to provide a special design with components to their device to maintain the time. USB RTC is a compact device that would save the cost of the users with its work.
- Extend Battery Life – Using the USB RTC with your device extends the battery life of the product. You can get always-on time-keeping without draining the battery by keeping the quiescent current in nano ampere levels. It is especially useful for designs that use small coin-cell batteries. It will extend the life of the product that would save time and money for the user.
USB 2.0 to I2C /UART Protocol
The MCP2221 is the heart of the USB RTC module, which acts as a USB 2.0 to I2C/UART Protocol Adapter with GPIO. It supports full-speed USB (12 Mb/s), ensuring high-speed connectivity between the Host and USB RTC. It includes a Human Interface Device (HID) for chip control and I2C, allowing the user to have more control over the machine.
Features of MCP2221
- I2C/SMBus supported clock and data lines
- User-selectable via jumper cable for 3.3V or 5V level output (up to 500 mA)
- Four GPIO lines that are configurable for GPIO Operations
- Pins for Serial(UART) Communication
- Supports full-speed USB (12 Mb/s)
- 64-byte Transmit
- 64-byte Receive
- USB 2.0 Compliant
The Hi-tech DS3231, an accurate I2C, runs the USB RTC with extremely high efficiency at a low cost. With an integrated temperature-compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO) and crystal, our team built USB RTC to perform an accurate I2C real-time clock (RTC). The USB RTC contains a crystal resonator that increases the device’s performance over time as the number of piece parts in a production line decreases. We made USB RTCs with the DS3231 advanced processor for both commercial and industrial temperature ranges, and they come in a 16-pin, 300-mil SO box.
USB RTC Specifications
- Accuracy ±2ppm from 0°C to +40°C
- Accuracy ±3.5ppm from -40°C to +85°C
- Battery Backup Input for Continuous Timekeeping
- Operating Temperature Ranges Commercial: 0°C to +70°C Industrial: -40°C to +85°C ♦ Low-Power Consumption
- Real-Time Clock Counts Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Day, Date, Month, and Year with Leap Year Compensation Valid Up to 2100
- Two Time-of-Day Alarms
- Programmable Square-Wave Output
- Fast (400kHz) I2C Interface
- 3.3V Operation
- Digital Temp Sensor Output: ±3°C Accuracy